Dec 14, 2010

It's not you, it's me.

Editing your story can be hard. Even painful. I look at it like this: You know when you go to a buffet and you're walking past all of the food on the way to your table? Then in your head you have already mapped out what you want on your first plate. Easy - fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, bread, green beans, ham, rice pilaf and chicken pot pie. Then you grab an empty plate and step up to bat and realize, man, there's a lot of great food (or however you view Old Country Buffet. Yeah, I said OCB. Don't judge.) but it all won't fit on my plate. So I need to choose only the best items that are the most cohesive and will tell the best "story" in my gut. Make sense? I just made that analogy up. I kinda like it. Mainly because I like to eat.

Anyways, there's a point to all of this (Can you tell I have ADD?). I thought I'd share a page that made it to the post it note stage, but didn't pass the Wife Test. First the original sketch (from the very first pass).

And now the post it page.
Sometimes editing is like breaking up with somebody. But instead of saying, "It's not you, it's me" it's more like saying "You're not fitting the story of my life right now...and your left eye is slightly higher than your right." Ok, nix that last part. I leave you with a sketch of the break up. I need to get a scanner or a new iPhone.
So I'm leaving you guys for now. It's not you, it's me.
Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment